You can switch Gmail to normal HTML viewing mode and back to standard Gmail viewing mode at any time. This article shows how to do this.
How to switch Gmail to HTML Basic View
- Open your web browser and go to Gmail.com and sign in as usual.
- Once you are logged in to Gmail, open this link to download Gmail Basic HTML: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
- Look at the top of the screen and select “Set basic HTML as default view” to always download Gmail as basic HTML in the current web browser.
Using Gmail in HTML A simple view will remove some of the features from the Gmail email client, including AutoCorrect, chat, advanced formatting, keyboard shortcuts, and some other features that you might like. However, Gmail in HTML mode is very convenient and great for many purposes. If you're wondering what this looks like, here’s an example of a Gmail screen shot in the usual HTML representation:
Please note that if you use multiple web browsers to access Gmail and want to use the HTML representation in each of these browsers, you will need to configure this change for each of these web browsers separately.
How to switch Gmail HTML View to standard view
Of course, you can always go back from the simple HTML Gmail view to the standard Gmail view at any time.
- Go to Gmail.com and sign in if you have not done so already
- Open the following Gmail URL to return to standard view: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?nocheckbrowser
The standard Gmail view is the standard value for Gmail webmail with the full range of features and functionality you might expect.
Remember, GMail Basic HTML View is designed for a simplified and stripped down webmail client, and although it has many uses for a wide variety of situations and is great for low bandwidth environments, offering a great alternative method of using the Gmail webmail email client not for everyone, and probably not for everyday use by most users.
If you have other interesting tips or thoughts about using Gmail in basic HTML mode, share with us in the comments below!